TISSUE HEART VALVES (THV)
The Abbott portfolio of surgical mitral valves includes stented tissue valves, mechanical valves, and annuloplasty rings that are designed to rebuild healthier hearts.
TISSUE HEART VALVES (THV)
EPIC™ MITRAL STENTED TISSUE VALVE
The Epic™ Platform has been proven over time and defined by strong hemodynamics, intuitive implantability, and a future-facing design that gives you and your patients more choices when it comes to preserving long-term treatment paths.
TREATING TODAY, PRESERVING TOMORROW
This generation of the Epic™ Platform has been built on the Biocor™ legacy of excellent durability, proven performance and unparalleled implantability—and reimagined with the future of transcatheter interventions in mind.
It is the surgical valve platform that gives you and your patients more choices when it comes to preserving long-term treatment paths.
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT:
- Low stent post height is less likely to obstruct the left ventricular outflow tract (LVOT)1
- Epic™ valve leaflets are not prone to forming a curtain between stent posts when opened; curtaining can result in LVOT obstruction
HEAR WHAT SURGEONS FROM AROUND THE WORLD THINK ABOUT THE EPIC™ VALVE
Eric Charbonneau, MD, FRCSC
Vinod Thourani, MD
Taichi Sakaguchi, MD
Sven Lehmann, MD, MBA, HCM
- Stent symmetry eliminates the need for specific orientation2
- Flexible polymer stent offers more forgiving insertion and seating
- Short rinse time of 2 x 10 seconds2
- Epic™ mitral valve ratcheting holder reduces risk of suture looping and offers a true one-cut release
- Epic™ platform cuff options allow for secure suture placement while limiting suture drag and parachuting forces
LINX™ ANTICALCIFICATION (AC) TREATMENT MAY IMPROVE LONG-TERM PERFORMANCE AND DURABILITY.*
95.7 ± 2.6%†
Freedom from SVD, All patient ages (Epic™ Mitral Valve)4
98.6 ± 0.8%†
Freedom from SVD, All patient ages (Epic™ Aortic & Epic™ Mitral Valve)4
Epic™ HCP testimonial
Epic™ Mitral Valve
Webinar: Aortic & Mitral Valve Disease
EACTS 2022: SMV repair vs replacement
- Guler N, Ozkara C, Akyol A. Left ventricular outflow tract obstruction after bioprosthetic mitral valve replacement with posterior mitral leaflet preservation. Tex Heart Inst J. 2006;33(3):399–401.
- Epic™ Plus Instructions for Use.
- Allen KB, Chhatriwalla AK, Cohen DJ, et al. Bioprosthetic valve fracture to facilitate transcatheter valve-in-valve implantation. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104(5):1501–1508.
- Jawad K, Lehmann S, Koziarz A, et al. Midterm results after St Jude Medical Epic porcine xenograft for aortic, mitral, and double valve replacement. J Cardiac Surg. 2020;35(8):1769–1777.
- Adams DH, Rosenhek R, Falk V. Degenerative mitral valve regurgitation: best practice revolution. Eur Heart J. 2010;31(16):1958–1966. doi:10.1093/eurheartj/ehq222.
- Otto CM, Nishimura RA, Bonow RO, et al. 2020 ACC/AHA guideline for the management of patients with valvular heart disease: executive summary: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Joint Committee on clinical practice guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2021;77(4):450–500.
- Mick SL, Keshavamurthy S, Gillinov AM. Mitral valve repair vs replacement. Ann Cardiothorac Surg. 2015;4(3):230–7.
- Tests performed by and data on file at Abbott.
- Magna Mitral Ease* Instructions for Use.
- Medtronic Mosaic* Bioprosthesis Aortic and Mitral Brochure. #UC200103933b EN.
- Vyavahare N, Hirsch D, Lerner E, et al. Prevention of bioprosthetic heart valve calcification by ethanol preincubation. Circulation. 1997:95(2):479 –488.
- Kelly SJ, Ogle MF, Carlyle WC, et al. Biocompatibility and calcification of bioprosthetic heart valves. Presented at Society for Biomaterials, Sixth World Biomaterials Congress Transaction.
- Frater RWM, Seifter E, Liao K, et al. Chapter 8. In: Gabbay, S, Wheatley DJ, eds. Advances in Anticalcific and Antidegenerative Treatment of Heart Valve Bioprostheses. 1st ed. Silent Partners, Inc; 1997:105–113.
- Vyavahare NR, Hirsch D, Lerner E, et al. Prevention of calcification of glutaraldehyde-crosslinked porcine aortic cusps by ethanol preincubation: mechanistic studies of protein structure and water-biomaterial relationships. J Biomed Mater Res. 1998;40(4):577–585.
*Indicates a third-party trademark, which is the property of its respective owner.